Wednesday 8 October 2014

Pre-Production; Maze Game


Unit 1- Pre-Production Techniques for the Creative Media Industries.

Lecturer: Josh Rai

Task 1a; what particular pre-production requirements will you need for Wayne’s Maze Game?

Date Given: 1st October 2014

Submission: 8th October 2014

Pre-Production in My Game

Wayne has asked us to create a maze game which has five different levels, each one needs to get progressively harder. He asked us to create a main character that will be the one that you control. He also wants monsters, which change on each level, and something to collect before you can advance to the next level.

In terms of pre-production I would have to consider various things before starting the process of making my game. Obviously I still need to consider permissions and copyright so I don’t get sued, but there is no need to seek out an insurance policy. As for Locations, I shall be developing most of the game within the college as I don’t have the relevant software at home. Again, as I am working on this as part of coursework within college I will not require any personnel or contributors to assist me with the production.

Things such as budget and insurance aren’t as necessary as they would be if I was working for a company. However here is some research of how much various resources would cost;

Software
Cost
Usage
GameMaker Studio
$799.99/£500.48
Main platform of which to make the game.
Photoshop Pro
£329.95
Creating aspects to go within the game.
Computer
£300-£700
Everything is computer based, so a computer is vital.
Total:
£1130.43-£1530.43
 

 

Even though I am making my game within the college I do need to consider what I would have to do if I wasn’t creating it using free software and unlimited resources.

Time wise, I don’t want to spend an excessive amount of time developing my game, however I don’t want to rush it. The most time I would take for this five levelled maze game would be no longer than a month. I may not need that long, but I don’t want to be over ambitious with this. For materials the main thing I need is software, such as; Photoshop, game maker studio, etc... Which is all installed on the computers around the college. The only facilities I really need is the college computers, as long as I can access the software I need, I should be able to produce my maze game.

Because I am doing this game within my course most of my facilities and locations will be within the college. However if I was working for a company I would have to consider travel costs and hiring availability. Hiring out a location will also cost money, this has to be taken into consideration if I was working under a company or franchise.

As well as locations I would also have to further research and consider insurance in greater depth. Making sure that every aspect is covered is important to assuring the success of production. Companies such as Press Complaints Commission (PCC), Advertising Standards Agency (ASA), Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) and Pan European Game Informant (PEGI) are a few that need to research, looked into and consulted during the production procedure.

Personally I think my game would be a 3 or a 7 PEGI rating. There is to be no violence or graphic detail.

“Age ratings are systems used to ensure that entertainment content, such as films, videos, DVDs, and computer games, are clearly labelled by age according to the content they contain. Age ratings provide guidance to consumers (particularly parents) to help them decide whether or not to buy a particular product.” (Taken from the PEGI website; http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/23)


No comments:

Post a Comment